Acting Director of Community Development
609-298-2800, Ext. 2102
Marcie B. Maute
Deputy Director of Community Development
609-298-2800, Ext. 2113
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Summer Hours: Monday - Thursday, 8 AM - 5 PM, Friday 9 AM - 12 NOON
CURRENTLY CLOSED TO PUBLIC; USE DROP OFF BOX LOCATED IN LOBBY
Located in the Administration Office on the Main Floor
The Community Development Office is the first place to go to find out what the Township regulations are for property development. We will advise you as to what zoning district your property is in, what property standards apply to your zone; which may include permitted uses, size of structures and location of primary and accessory buildings.
Prior to applying for a building permit in the Township Construction Office a zoning clearance is required from the Community Development Office. To obtain a zoning clearance for property improvements such as sheds, fences, decks, additions (family rooms, sunrooms, etc.), porches, swimming pools (in ground and above ground), signs, patios, and others, the owner or contractor must first bring a copy of the property survey and all other information pertaining to the proposed improvement to the Community Development Office. Upon review and compliance with Township regulations, a zoning clearance will be issued.
The Community Development Office also provides, receives and processes all applications for property development for the Township Planning Board and Zoning Board of Adjustment. The Planning or Zoning Boards generally review the following types of applications:
- Variance – permission to receive an exception to one or more provisions of the development regulations. Example: conducting a business in a residential zone, placing a shed too close to the property line, building a fence which exceeds the height limit for a residential property.
- Site Plans – development plan showing existing and proposed conditions of a property (drainage, building, parking, etc.). A site plan application may be required prior to the construction of a new non-residential building or a substantial change to an existing non-residential building or property.
- Subdivisions – division of property into two or more lots.
All development applications must be received by the Community Development Office and Board professional staff at least fifteen (15) working days prior to the scheduled meeting, but no more than twenty (20) days prior to the board meeting date.
Both Planning and Zoning Board meetings are held at 7:30 pm in the main meeting room within the Township Municipal Building located at 1 Municipal Drive. The Township Planning Board meeting is normally held on the second Thursday of each month and the Township Zoning Board of Adjustment meeting is normally held on the fourth Thursday of each month. All meetings are subject to change or cancellation. A meeting agenda is posted on the main bulletin board within the Township Municipal Building the Monday of the scheduled meeting week. Any questions concerning board agendas, meeting dates and times or development application forms please contact our office at 609-298-2800 ext. 2113 between the hours of 9:00am and 4:30pm. We will make every attempt to answer all calls within a timely manner.
Applications and Forms
- Commercial Tenancy Change Procedure and Approval Form
- Planning Board Application - must first contact Community Development Office
- Property Owner List Request
- Soil Removal Application Form
- Storage Pod /Trash Container Application
- Temporary Outdoor Restaurant Seating Application(due to COVID-19)
- Temporary Signage Application
- Vacant Property Registration Application
- Zoning Permit Application
Technical Review Committee for Redevelopment Applications:
- Stephen Benowitz, Mayor
- Eugene Fuzy, Deputy Mayor
- Brian Carlin, Planning Board Attorney
- Fred Turek, Township Enigneer
- Jack Carman, Township Planner
- Michael Theokas, Interim Community Development Director/Township Administrator
- Emergency Management Coordinator
Maps /Master Plan Elements / Affordable Housing
- Bordentown Township Bikeway Path
- Zoning Map
- Master Plan Reexamination Report--August 2018
- Housing Element and Fair Share Plan--July 2019: Part I and Part II (separated into two parts due to size of document)
- Circulation Element--December 2019
- Land Use Plan--December 2019
- July 1, 2020 Midpoint Review as required by the Fair Housing Act and N.J.S.A. 52:27D-313
- Bordentown Township Municipal Code
- Environmental Commission
- Fee Schedule -- Effective 6/22/15
- Irrevocable Standby Letter of Credit
- Irrevocable Standby Letter of Credit (Maintenance)
- Maintenance Surety Bond
- Patio and Impervious Surfaces Information
- Planning Board / Planning Board Professionals
- Pool Information Packet
- Shed and Private Garage Information
- State Surety Bond Form (Performance Surety)
- Sign Permit
- W-9 Taxpayer ID and Certification
- Zoning Board