Mark Siegle, PP, AICP, CNU-A
Director of Community Development
609-298-2800, Ext. 2112
Marcie B. Maute
Deputy Director of Community Development
Zoning Officer/Code Enforcement Officer
609-298-2800, Ext. 2113
Located in the Administration Office on the Main Floor
The Community Development Office is the first place to go to find out what the Township regulations are for property development. We will advise you as to what zoning district your property is in, what property standards apply to your zone; which may include permitted uses, size of structures and location of primary and accessory buildings.
Prior to applying for a building permit in the Township Construction Office a zoning permit is required from the Community Development Office. To obtain a zoning permit for property improvements such as sheds, fences, decks, additions (family rooms, sunrooms, etc.), porches, swimming pools (in ground and above ground), signs, patios, and others, the owner or contractor must first bring two (2) copies to scale of the property survey and all other information pertaining to the proposed improvement to the Community Development Office. Upon review and determination that there is compliance with all Township regulations, a zoning permit will be issued. An application fee of $35 i the form of a check or money order (payable to "Township of Bordentown") must be provided when the zoning permit application is submitted.
Bordentown Township welcomes new businesses! If you are considering opening a new business, it is strongly encouraged that you first check to see if the planned business type complies with Township zoning regulations. Submit a Proposed Business in Bordentown Worksheet to the Community Development Office. Owners of commercial space should also complete an application for a Change in Commercial Tenancy Approval.
The Community Development Office also provides, receives and processes all applications for property development for the Township Planning Board. The Planning Boards reviews the following types of applications:
- Variance – permission to receive an exception to one or more provisions of the development regulations. Example: conducting a business in a residential zone, placing a shed too close to the property line, building a fence which exceeds the height limit for a residential property.
- Site Plans – development plan showing existing and proposed conditions of a property (drainage, building, parking, etc.). A site plan application may be required prior to the construction of a new non-residential building or a substantial change to an existing non-residential building or property.
- Subdivisions – division of property into two or more lots.
All development applications must be received by the Community Development Office and Board professional staff at least fifteen (15) working days prior to the scheduled meeting, but no more than twenty (20) days prior to the board meeting date.
Planning Board meetings are held at 7:00 pm in the main meeting room within the Township Municipal Building located at 1 Municipal Drive. The Township Planning Board meetings are held on the second and fourth Thursdays of each month. Meetings are subject to change or cancellation. Meeting agendas are posted on the main bulletin board within the Township Municipal Building as well as on the website. If you have any questions concerning board agendas, meeting dates and times or development application forms, please contact our office at 609-298-2800 ext. 2113 between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM. We will make every attempt to answer all calls within a timely manner.
Applications and Forms
- Commercial Tenancy Change Procedure and Approval Form
- Site Plan, Subdivision, and Variance Application
- Pre-Application Meeting Request Form
- Property Owner 200 Foot List Request
- Personal and Public Notice Instructions and Notice Template
- Proposed Business in Bordentown Worksheet
- Remote Hearing Applicant Witness/Exhibit List Form
- Soil Removal Application Form
- Storage Pod /Trash Container Application
- Telecommunications ROW Application
- Temporary Outdoor Restaurant Seating Application(due to COVID-19)
- Sign Permit Application
- Temporary Signage Application
- Vacant Property Registration Application
- Zoning Permit Application
Bordentown Township Road Program WebApp User Guide
- Bordentown Township Interactive Zoning Map
Bordentown Township Road Program (WebApp) :
- The Bordentown Township Road Program WebApp highlights the improvements to the Township road and drainage infrastructure between 2013 and 2021 while also providing a five (5) year forecast for future improvements between 2022 and 2026. The scope of work for all projected improvements are subject to available funding.
- Bordentown Township Affordable Housing WebApp
- Bordentown Township Roadway Restriction WebApp
- Bordentown Township Bikeway Path
- Zoning Map (Updated 3-7-2022)[PDF}
- Map of Road and Drainage Improvements since 2013
FEMA Flood Map Service Center
Master Plan Elements / Affordable Housing
- Master Plan Reexamination Report--August 2018
- Housing Element and Fair Share Plan--July 2019: Part I and Part II (separated into two parts due to size of document)
- Circulation Element--December 2019
- Land Use Element--December 2019
- Land Use Element Addendum--March 2022
- Economic Development Element--March 2022
- July 1, 2020 Midpoint Review as required by the Fair Housing Act and N.J.S.A. 52:27D-313
- 2021 Annual Affordable Housing Monitoring Report
- 2020 Annual Affordable Housing Monitoring Report
- Bordentown Township Municipal Code
- Storage Pod & Trash Container Application
- Environmental Commission
- Fee Schedule -- Effective 6/22/15
- Irrevocable Standby Letter of Credit
- Irrevocable Standby Letter of Credit (Maintenance)
- Maintenance Surety Bond
- Patio and Impervious Surfaces Information
- Planning Board / Planning Board Professionals
- Pool Information Packet
- Shed and Private Garage Information
- State Surety Bond Form (Performance Surety)
- Sign Permit
- W-9 Taxpayer ID and Certification
- Former Zoning Board of Adjustment (merged with the Planning Board in 2020)