Firearms Permits and Registration
The Bordentown Township Police Department Firearms Unit assists residents with the application, processing, and registration of firearms. For questions, please call (609) 298-4300, Ext #2223.
The New Jersey State Police Firearms Investigation Unit utilizes the statewide Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS). The FARS system allows firearms applications to be created and submitted online using the following website: https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars.
The new online application is APPLICANT DRIVEN. If the applicant makes a mistake while applying, they simply can RE-APPLY. The applicant should understand that all application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. The applicant MUST utilize the correct ORI number (NJ0030400) for the Bordentown Township Police Department.
- Step 1: To apply online, visit the following website: https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars. The applicant MUST enter their “Official Name”. They cannot utilize simplified versions of their names (Example: Mike vs. Michael).
- Step 2: When you log on, you must enter the Bordentown Township Police Department’s ORI #: NJ0030400. Applicants using this ORI # MUST live in Bordentown Township. If you're unsure which town to apply for, please contact the Bordentown Township Firearms Unit to verify your residency, at (609) 298-4300.
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Make note of your FARS Contributor's Case Number for later use. Be sure to check all relevant boxes for the items you are applying for. When deciding how many permits you would like to get, remember the following:
- ONE permit is required for each handgun you wish to purchase (each permit is $2.00).
- You can purchase one (1) handgun in a 30-day period.
- Permits are good for up to 180 days (with renewal after 90 days).
- If you decide you want another handgun permit and you didn't get more than one initially, you will need to apply again.
- When completing the application you will need the email addresses of two (2) reputable references. Your references may be family members if you wish.
Step 4: Upon completing the online application, you MUST appear at the Bordentown Township Police Department to pay for your initial FID Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permits. For fees and instructions concerning payment, see details below.
- Applications will NOT be processed until all applicable fees are paid. Valid ID MUST be presented. Non-refundable payment is required to be made at the time of application as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
- Step 5: If you have never been fingerprinted before for firearms purposes, you will need to go for fingerprinting. Appointments can be scheduled at https://uenroll.identogo.com/workflows/2F164B after successful submission of the Online S.T.S033. However, if you have been fingerprinted before for firearm purposes, upon completion of the S.T.S033 and payment, you will have completed both S.T.S 033 and 212A requirements.
- Step 6: Although the FARS online application system sends an automated email informing the applicant of his/her approval, PLEASE WAIT TO BE CONTACTED by a Bordentown Township Police Department representative before coming to pick up your Firearms Identification Card (FID). All applications that include "Permits to Purchase a Handgun" submitted from October 1, 2020 onwards will receive an electronic purchase permit "E-Permit" upon application approval. These applicants will no longer receive a paper permit to purchase a handgun. All NJ Retail Firearms Dealers will be able to execute E-Permits for application submitted from October 1, 2020 onwards.
You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the online process.
If an INITIAL applicant applied for an FID card and forgot to apply for handgun purchase permits, the applicant must re-apply for the handgun purchase permits AFTER their initial application is processed and approved.
Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone number and email addresses for yourself and your references.
After the applicant enters all required information, a review page appears where the applicant can edit all information entered into the application prior to final submission.
The applicant should also print both the confirmation page and application at the end of the process. This is for quick reference in the event of an issue.
For additional firearms regulations and procedural information please visit the New Jersey State Police website.
Firearms Fee Schedule
Applications for Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (Online STS-033): Cash (exact change) or Check/Money Order payable to the "Bordentown Township Police Department" in the amount of $5.00.
Applications to Purchase a Handgun (Online STS-033): Cash (exact change) or Check/Money Order payable to the "Bordentown Township Police Department" in the amount of $2.00 per handgun permit.
Application for a Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (Online STS-033): There is NO fee.
Questions regarding firearms applications should be directed to Lt. Roohr at (609) 298-4300, extension 2223, or via email [email protected]